The desire to have your physical appearance more accurately reflect your inner self is a significant aspect of the transgender experience.
Dr. James Murphy understands the complexities of the decision to undergo male to female transgender breast augmentation and can help patients at any stage of the process.
Learn more about how Murphy Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa can help you...
Making the Decision
Deciding whether to pursue surgery when transitioning is an important and difficult process. Many transgender women undergo breast augmentation surgery to better align their physical characteristics with their internal sense of self. The change in appearance can have a significant and positive impact on a woman’s self-esteem.
However, many women elect not to pursue surgery, over concerns about their identity and physical side effects, or because they feel that surgery is simply not the right choice for them. Ultimately, it is a personal decision that can only be made by you.
Scheduling a consultation requires no commitment to the surgery. Sometimes after this initial consultation, patients decide against breast augmentation.
If you are considering breast augmentation as part of your transition, Dr. Murphy is more than happy to discuss your concerns and goals during a consultation. He can explain the procedure, answer questions, and advise you on possible courses of action. Scheduling a consultation requires no commitment to the surgery. Sometimes after this initial consultation, patients decide against breast augmentation.
What to Expect from Your Procedure
Breast augmentation for male to female transition is much the same as any other type of augmentation. During your consultation, Dr. Murphy will review your medical history, conduct an examination, and discuss various implant options. You will need to consider the advantages and disadvantages of the material, shape, texture, position, and incision locations.
As an outpatient procedure, the surgery itself generally lasts about one to two hours. Patients will receive local or general anesthesia to ensure comfort throughout the procedure. Stitches are typically removed five days after surgery, and patients can usually return to work within one week.
It is important to have realistic expectations of what your breasts will look like after your surgery. While breast augmentation can alter your silhouette and boost self-confidence, an implant cannot perfectly mimic a natural breast.
If you decide against breast augmentation, or would like to supplement the surgery with an additional procedure, a number of alternative therapies exist, including:
- Hormone therapy: Since surgery is such an invasive option, hormone therapy treatment is often recommended before surgery takes place. Patients can take a regimen of estrogen, anti-androgens, or other hormones to develop breasts, alter the appearance of their skin, and change their distribution of body hair, fat, and muscles. The effects can take up to two years to fully develop.
- Liposuction: This outpatient procedure removes unwanted, isolated pockets of fat to reshape your figure.
- Abdominoplasty: During tummy tuck surgery, Dr. Murphy can remove excess tissue from the abdomen.
- Rhinoplasty: Also known as a nose job, this surgical procedure reshapes the appearance of the nose.
- Facial implants: By placing a specially formed material along the chin, cheeks, or other areas of the face, the appearance of your face can be modified.
- Thyroid cartilage reduction: This procedure reduces the size and prominence of a patient’s Adam’s apple on the neck.
Schedule Your Personal Consultation
Dr. Murphy and his staff strive to provide a patient-oriented atmosphere where your concerns are a priority. Contact us today to discuss your options and schedule a personal consultation.
“Dr. James Murphy is simply amazing, he's kind, generous, and cares more about you then money. I would recommended anyone to him.”